Mainland Spain has plenty to offer travellers and wanderers. With no shortage of beautiful cities, fun and quirky festivals (Ever heard of El Colacho, where people dress as devils and jump over babies? Yeah, it’s a summer festival in Spain.), incredible architecture, world-renowned cuisine, varied culture, and more than can be listed here, it’s a consistently popular destination for globetrotters. And while Spain is home to many beautiful beaches and the popular Balearic Islands, including party-mecca Ibiza and lush Mallorca, if you head farther south off the coast of Africa, you’ll come across the tropical and volcanic paradise of the Canary Islands.
With its crystal clear, turquoise waters, long stretches of beaches, national parks, and old-world charm, here are 13 reasons why you should add the Canary Islands to your bucket list.
1. The sunrises
2. The towering Los Gigantes cliffs of Tenerife, shooting out of the sea and standing tall at anywhere from 500-800 metres
3. The picturesque fishing village of Puerto de Mogán
4. The black sand beaches
5. The Maspalomas Dunes on Gran Canaria (camel rides available!)
6. The views of La Gomera’s Roque Agando, the island’s most famous rock formation
7. The alien-looking landscape created by the lava fields of La Palma
8. The #NoFilterNeeded crystal clear waters
9. The rugged terrain of Teide National Park, home to the world’s third highest volcano
10. The brightly coloured homes of Puerto de la Cruz
11. The views
12. The quiet beaches
13. The sunsets