Helsinki and the northern wonderland of Finnish Lapland are the spots tourists tend to visit during a trip to Finland, but there’s a lot going in the middle. Tampere, Finland’s 3rd largest city, offers plenty to see and do, making it well worthy of a visit. Here are our top 8 things to do while visiting Tampere.
1. Tampere’s Market Hall is over 100 years old and houses 39 different vendors. Open from 08:00 – 18:00 M-F and 08:00 – 16:00 Saturdays, this is an excellent option for browsing local goods, picking up items for a picnic, or stopping in one of the restaurants for lunch.
2. The Lenin Museum is located in the building where Stalin and Lenin met for the first time, leading to it being widely considered as the “Birthplace of the Soviet Union”. Learn about Finland and Russia’s shared history, and expect to laugh along the way with lighthearted additions like a Soviet joke jukebox (no, seriously).
3. With the ubiquity of saunas in Finland, a list of what to do in Tampere wouldn’t be complete without including Finland’s oldest public sauna, Rajaportti Sauna. Reasonably priced at €6 Mondays and Wednesdays and €10 Fridays and Saturdays, experience a truly Finnish tradition in a sauna that has remained largely unchanged since it was built in 1906.
4. See the Hugo Simberg frescoes at Tampere Cathedral.
5. Channel your inner-child at Särkänniemi, Tampere’s amusement park which includes rides during the summer months, an aquarium, a planetarium, and restaurants, as well as a Creepy Carnival in October and the opportunity to meet Santa himself in December.
6. Take in the view from the top of Näsinneula Observation Tower observation deck or rotating restaurant. Enjoy panoramic views of the city in one direction, and the serene countryside views in the other.
7. Rent a canoe and enjoy an idyllic afternoon on one of Tampere’s many lakes.
8. If you’re there in December, Tampere’s Christmas Market is the perfect way to get into the holiday spirit.
After a full day of canoeing, museums, markets, and more, Tampere Dream Hostel is the ideal place to rest and relax. Here you can rent bicycles, read a book from the library, cook a meal, and meet other travellers.