Sustainable Tourism through Hostelling – Celebrate 2017 with us!
We celebrate the UN Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development…because it’s our mission (since 1932)!
The UN has declared 2017 International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development.
Our reaction when we heard about it:
We were not going to miss the opportunity to show the world how youth hostelling drives sustainable tourism to foster development globally, this year and beyond.
The amazing thing is that your travels with us can help us do this. When you travel, you learn, spread your message, take a new one back home, open your mind, consume in a different way, forget about borders when making friends, and this is what we want to foster.
The #IY2017 will promote tourism’s role in the following five key areas, which we support:
(1) Inclusive and sustainable economic growth
(2) Social inclusiveness, employment and poverty reduction
(3) Resource efficiency, environmental protection and climate change
(4) Cultural values, diversity and heritage
(5) Mutual understanding, peace and security.
See the official video from the UNWTO
What will we be doing?
We will for sure keep ourselves busy, in the hopes of embarking with you on a journey of sustainable travels. To communicate all we are doing and how you can take part in this fantastic year of celebrations, we defined the 10 areas of sustainable hostelling:
Not bad, right?
There are amazing things happening in our hostels every day and we are taking the opportunity of 2017 to give them visibility, but also to improve, share about and replicate them where possible, for an effect beyond the year.
To find out more about the 10 Areas and projects going on at the HI Hostels, check out our blog posts for each month:
- February: Consuming Sustainably – Equipment, food & beverage
- March: Our Nature – Managing waste & water
- April: Our Hostels – Achieving carbon neutrality
- May: Mobility – Inclusive travel & stay
- June: Our People – Caring for staff & volunteers
- July: Our Communities – Giving back & building bridges
- August: Our Friends – Engaging guests
- September: Financial Sustainability – Creating fair profit & network development
- October: Protecting Destinations – Culture & biodiversity
- November: Continuous Improvement – Sustainable Management System
Being an affiliate member of the UNWTO, HI will also attend some of the UN official events in relation with the year, to take part in important discussions and give travellers a voice in the debate and change:
- Launch of the year at FITUR, 18 Jan 2017
- World Tourism Day celebrations in Qatar, 27 Sept. 2017
- UNWTO General Assembly in China, Sept. 2017
- Closing ceremony in Geneva, Dec. 2017
How can you get involved?
We will celebrate through a 10-month programme showcasing projects and practices in our hostels. From February to November 2017, we will address one area per month through a programme of events, best practices and network initiatives. Visit out social media pages as well as the ones from your favourite National Association to see which project they decided to put forward for you to get involved in.
When travelling in our hostels, check out for the sustainability features, ask the reception staff for sustainability activities, get in touch with the local community, connect with a fellow traveller who has a different culture to yours! Travel, Enjoy, Respect :).
The UNWTO (UN World Tourism Organization) also prepared a website for you to use to see all activities happening around the globe during 2017 and to join: http://www.tourism4development2017.org/
Safe AND SUSTAINABLE travels