Free things to do in Helsinki
Top three libraries in Helsinki
2. Rikhardinkatu Library
3. Library 10 (Kirjasto 10)
Photo by hugovk on Flickr
Top three galleries
2. Galleria Alkovi is a window gallery in Kallio area. You can take either the 3B, 9 or 8 tram and get off at Helsinginkatu or if you’re taking the metro, get off at Sörnäinen.
3. Helsinki Contemporary. You should not miss this one either, especially since it’s so conveniently located!
And also consider these seven Helsinki City Museums – they’re all free!
Top three parks for picnics in the summer
2. Sinebrychoff Park, very central. Just be aware that there is an automatic watering system in use that goes off after 22.00!
3. Tervasaari is peaceful little island connected to the Kruununhaka neighbourhood in central Helsinki.
|Alppipuisto Park in summer 2013 during a free festival.|
Top three flea markets
2. Reuse Centres. There are two shops in Helsinki. Since you probably won’t be shopping for furniture, visit the other that is more central. Address: Lönnrotinkatu 45, take tram number 6 (or walk).
3. Emmaus Vallila. Do some shopping in the Vallila neighbourhood. Address: Mäkelänkatu 54, trams 1 and 7.
|Hietalahti open air flea market
Photo by Helsingin kaupungin matkailu- ja kongressitoimisto/Carolina Laaksonen
Check out our Helsinki hostels here and start planning your budget getaway!