Free things to do in Amsterdam
Last week I met Michael. He is Canadian and has been travelling through Africa and Europe for the last 9 weeks. Amsterdam was his final stop before returning to Toronto.
He told me about his adventure of the Sahara dessert and chugging along the Nile in a small boat despite the political tensions in the region. He said that even though he never found himself in a situation that felt close to danger, he felt a lot safer when he reached Greece. There he hopped from island to island. Skiathos was the most beautiful one, though he really enjoyed the nightlife of Mykonos.
He made his way up north through the Balkan countries, where he joined a gipsy music festival in Albania and went rafting in Slovenia. He then did the Sound of Music tour in Salzburg, Austria before he went to Munich. In Germany he visited several other cities, but he told me that he spent too little time in Belgium. Finally he arrived in Amsterdam and due to a lot of travelling with an almost empty wallet. He seemed relieved when I told him that he already had paid for his stay when he booked it on the website. Still he wondered if I had suggestions for things to do for free in the city.
Gladly Amsterdam has a lot to offer for people who find themselves in a similar situation as Michael:
- Every Wednesday there is a free lunch concert in the famous Concert Building (Concertgebouw).
- Schuttersgalerij: Gallery with 17th century paintings from the “Dutch Golden Age”.
- Begijnhof: A 14th century village like oasis of peace and quiet between the hectic streets of the centre.
- Every day there are two free walking tours in several languages. There is a pick up at every Stayokay hostel.
- Sail the IJ Ferry to Amsterdam Noord.
- Visit the flower market on the charming Singel canal.
- Stroll through the Vondelpark.
- Bridge of 15 bridges: One of the most picturesque places to take photos of the Amsterdam canals (corner of Reguliersgracht/Herengracht)
- Great view overlooking Amsterdam from either the sundeck of science centre “Nemo” or the roof terrace of the public library (both close to central station).
- Climb the I AMsterdam sign and send a photo home to your loved ones.
- From June until August there are free open air concerts and theater productions in the Vondelpark
Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark is one of the three Stayokay hostels in Amsterdam.
Stayokay is the Dutch Youth Hostel Association.
You can contact us about any questions on Amsterdam by sending us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark